History

In 1876 several small groups of Dutch immigrants settled in the west Michigan area. These people, mostly farmers and farm workers began to gather for the purpose of worship. They met in a variety of locations until the first South Blendon Church was built in 1880. In 1891 a new church structure was constructed and dedicated to the now official South Blendon Reformed Church of the Reformed Church of America.

In 1956 the present facility was built – with seating for 360 people in the 10,000 square foot facility. At that time, Fred Palmbos’ father, Harvey Palmbos was running the Palmbos farm, situated in the fertile valley where a river once flowed.

Harvey preserved the wood from the previous church. In 1958 he began using it to build the current market building. It was first used for potato storage, but it 2002, Fred and Betty, who love growing and selling Michigan produce, fresh fruit, and other great products. Fred and Betty continue to grow and sell their produce and add other products as they find ones they believe are of good quality and will appeal to families in the area. They also have a corner stand where you can stop to pick up fresh produce at the corner of 36th and Port Sheldon.

FOOD FROM THE HEART
 
Phone: 616-875-8002

Palmbos Farm Market
5728 Chicago Dr
Zeeland, Michigan 
49464

Market GPS:
42.84417,-85.9223988


Palmbos Produce Stand
Port Sheldon Road at
36th Ave.

Produce Stand GPS:
42.886238, -85.873741